tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 17 07:35:16 1994

Re: KLBC: Compound verbs

Just a word to support charghwI' on this.  We have no evidence that you can
compound verbs, nor compound verbs with nouns, despite occasional
examples in the canon.  Okrand never said we could; the fact that some
examples exist doesn't mean it's a productive method of word-formation (in
English, we use "to-" on nouns of time to mean "the current or upcoming",
as in today, to-morrow, tonight... but you can't say to-afternoon or
to-Thursday.  Examples do not a rule make).

~mark

Back to archive top level