tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 27 18:53:08 1994

Re: Hello

According to Scott Dexter:

> Hello All,
>   I know, it's not in Klingon...not yet anyway. I am new to the list and am
> just getting 'into' the Klingon Language.  I have had a the dictionary for
> quiet some time now, i just haven't had a chance to really get into too
> deeply.
>   Any help/suggestions for a beginner would be really helpful
>     -Scott

The best first step is to subscribe to this list, which you
have already done. You will see more things written in Klingon
here than anywhere else. I can say that with confidence.

The best second step is to try to write things in Klingon as
you begin to learn. Nothing will be as educational for you as
writing your own sentences in Klingon and having them reviewed
by others who know the language fairly well. It is that
interactive feedback that we offer here which can likely help
you most.

Note that when you post as a beginner, it helps if you include
"KLBC:" in your subject header. This way, as beginner's
grammarian, I will take special note to read and answer your
post. That's my job here.

It also marks your post so that other beginners will know to
take special note of it. Sometimes beginners get intimidated by
lengthy posts in Klingon without translations, or posts full of
a lot of linguistic jargon. They can skip over such posts when
they focus on the KLBC posts. Meanwhile, whenever they want to
go to the extra effort at tackling the harder stuff, they can
easily check out the non-KLBC stuff.

Similarly, the Klingonists who are burned out on helping
beginners can skip the KLBC posts, so it becomes a sort of
pre-screening help for those managing large volumes of Email.

Welcome aboard.

charghwI'

--

 \___