tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 27 17:48:50 1994

Re: Interesting construction

Jargon alert:

Guido and charghwI' discussed this whole relative clause and
pronoun {'e'} thing over the phone and we agree. Since the
Sentence As Object construction involves two separate
sentences, you cannot have a relative clause in the second
sentence intending to use a noun from the first sentence as the
head noun of the relative clause. We both agree that you
theoretically COULD use the {'e'} itself as the head "noun" of
the relative clause in the second sentence, since as a pronoun,
{'e'} can function grammatically as a noun.

Of course, this is still mere opinion, given the weight of
being held in common between two members here.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \