tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 25 11:50:36 1994

Re: Hello

Well, Scott, that's a tough question.  From what I've found, it's different
for everyone.

I found that if I make up a phrase or two that I would use in "normal"
conversation, (hopefully one that other people won't mind not being in
English), and sit down and work it out completely, making triple-sure I
have it right, and then memorize it, it helped me remember words, grammar,
and suffixes/prefixes.

For example, one of my longer ones was:

jIvum vIneHbe'mo' qajatlh

It means, "Because I don't want to work, I'm talking to you."  There are three
verbs:  vum, neH, and jatlh (work, want, and speak).  There are three prefixes,
jI-, vI-, and qa- (I-nothing, I-it/he/she, and I-you).  There are two suffixes,
-be' and -mo' (not, and because).

That helped me a lot.  I also managed to integrate the grammar rules pretty
well, so I only need to look up words to fill in the blanks.

But this isn't necessarily the best way, and I know other people prefer to
work from the vocabulary to the grammar...

...Paul

PS>  Welcome to the group!

Back to archive top level