tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 22 10:03:02 1994

Re: Idea.

On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, ...Paul wrote:

> >> tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh 'e' vImevQo'!
> >
> ><-Qo'> is a suffix only used on imperatives; <-be'> is what you want
> >here.  <-be'> acts as the negation of most verbs, but it can't go on
> >imperatives; that's why we have <-Qo'>.  maj!
>
> -Qo' can be used on non-imperatives.  In that situation, though, it
> takes the meaning of "won't", rather than "Don't!".  Actually, the
> most useful negation on verbs in imperatives (ie. the -be' substitute)
> is -Ha'...

okay, i understand now that i was incorrect about <-Qo'>.  my fault; but
now i know, right?  thanks to ...Paul and ~mark for correcting me.  (oh,
and ~mark, sorry for stepping on your toes.... 'twas a bad idea, and
won't happen again.  i hope.)

however, ...Paul, i'd like to take the contrary position to your last
statement up there.  as i understand it, <-Ha'> is not a negation of any
sort; it is (for both imperatives and indicatives) an undoing.  there is
a great difference between

	waqmeylIj yIbaghQo'	(Don't tie your shoes!)
and
	waqmeylIj yIbaghHa'	(Untie your shoes!)

see the difference?  <-Ha'> isn't negating.  there may be times when two
sentences (one using -Qo' or -be' and the other using -Ha') might have
similar translations in English, but the two are very distinct within
tlhIngan Hol itself.

if i'm incorrect about this point, or just totally off base, somebody let
me know....... thanks.

> ..Paul

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level