tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 17 06:14:44 1994

Klingon hits mainstream press again

No, I don't mean something obscure like the Wall Street Journal... I'm
talking about *serious* journalism, where Americans *really* get their
information about the world.  The most often-read part of the newspaper.  I
refer, of course, to the comics.

My mother left a message for me last night to find the newspaper and check
out the "Foxtrot" comic strip (syndicated, Universal Press Syndicate.  In
the US, at any rate, check out your local papers).  It took me a few
minutes to be coherent again:

First frame: Older brother (Peter) reading Sports Illustrated magazine,
younger brother (Jason) waving arms in the air, looking very excited,
calling out "Peter!  Peter!  I DID it!"  We notice he's wearing a Klingon
forehead/wig.

Second frame: close-up on Jason.  "I memorized the entire Klingon
dictionary!  191 pages and I know it all.  I'm gonna be the best Klingon in
the theater Friday, I KNOW it!"

Third frame: Peter's looking at Jason's TKD's cover, Jason asks, "Ask me
something!  Anything!  I know all 1,400 words!"

Fourth frame: Peter, arms outstretched, yells, "WHY??"  Response: ""qatlh."
C'mon--gimme something hard..."

(OK, so the artist uses all caps in all his text and it really said QATLH,
which could have been "Qatlh" or something.  We'll give him the benefit of
the doubt.)

I wonder if it'd be worthwhile writing to the artist (listed as Bill
Amend)?

tlhIngan Hol laDwI'vaD loQ vImugh:

tlhIngan Hol mu'mey ghoj wa' loDHom QonoS ghItlh tlhaQDaq net ghItlh.

~mark

Back to archive top level