tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 10 21:46:03 1994

Re: pronouns and <-bogh>

>A minor point on the distinctions drawn by "reH" and "-taH".  "-taH" is an
>imperfective marker; it indicates that the activity is ongoing.  "reH" is
>an adverb of time, indicating when the action takes place.  To me,
>therefore, "reH jIchegh" means "I always return", while "reH jIcheghtaH"
>means "I am always returning."  That is, with the "-taH", the action is
>viewed as continuous, always happening, as though you never actually get to
>where you were returning to (if you mean to say "I am returning" and
>there's a destination in mind, "jIcheghlI'" would word better).  Without
>the "-taH" , it needn't be continuous returning (a pretty unnatural
>concept), but repeated returning.  It always happens that I return, not
>that at all points in time I'm engaged in the act of returning.  Sometimes
>I actually get back and leave again, only to return once more.  Get it?
>
>~mark

I think so. Now all I have to do is convince my line that we should change
the line name.

magqa'

Makin (which is not Klingon so I don't have to worry)

--
|--Makin--|Humans,  you can't live with them, you can't kill them|---------|
|---------|(With out express permission from the Thought Admiral)|---------|

Back to archive top level