tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 07 10:48:46 1994

Re: The suffix -ghach

According to [email protected]:

> Why does everyone seem to be avoiding the -ghach suffix??
>
> - toDbaj

So, after this mountain of replies, can you see why we
discourage using {-ghach} at every flicker of an opportunity?
The point is:

1. It was created as a stop-gap measure to cover the term
"discommendation" and was not immediately considered in a
larger context.

2. Since it can nominalize a verb a couple different ways, it
does not always clearly mean what the speaker wants it to mean.

3. Overuse of it is a crutch, stuffing noun-centric English
sentences directly into Klingon without trying to state the
original meaning in a typically verb-centric Klingon way.

Meanwhile, {-ghach} truely is a useful suffix that covers some
instances better than anything else. The HolQeD article in
volume 3, Number 3 illuminates its use far better than TKD, and
if you don't have HolQeD 3.3, why don't you get it, since every
cool Klingon subscribes.

Meanwhile, given the years in which we had far less guidance in
the use of {-ghach}, I personally found myself coming up with
so many different ways to avoid its use, I'm not sure I'll ever
find myself reaching for it very often. I'm glad it is in the
tool chest, but I still think going for it before considering
alternatives will rarely result in clearer meaning than other
Klingon grammatical resources.

All this discussion is terrific!

charghwI'

Back to archive top level