tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 06 12:31:53 1994

Re: The suffix -ghach

On Sun, 6 Nov 1994, Chet Braun wrote:

> Would someone out there like to enlighten us newbies re. the
> subject of the -ghach suffix?
>
> Chet Braun

Chet,

Although I am myself somewhat of a newbie.  Here's a brief something:

-ghach is a nominalizer , allowing a verb stem to function as a noun.
In HolQeD 3.3, I believe (I don't have it with me) it's mentioned that
it was created because a Hol translation of "discommendation" was needed.
In part because of this origin, some view extensive use of -ghach as a
crutch.

Jason K. Green		[email protected]