tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 27 05:54:25 1994

Re: for beginners

According to Robert Baruch:

> Perhaps write something in Klingon and then get someone else
> to translate it back into English...

By The Way... This list is a great place for that sort of thing.

> QIt chupghachwIj vInIDtaH.

Good. {-ghach} controversy aside, you plainly say what you mean.

> rut mu'tlheghmey tlhIngan Hol vImugh 'e' vIQap.

Less good. Two problems exist here. If you take apart your
noun-noun-noun construction, you probably won't like what you
see. It either means "sentences' Klingon's language" or
"language of the Klingon of the sentence". Do'Ha'. While
stringing more than two nouns together in this kind of
construction is probably legal, it is rarely not confusing.

Next, it is a bit of a stretch to use {Qap} as a transitive
verb. Taken altogether, I'd translate this as: "Sometimes I
succeed that I translate the language of the Klingon of the
sentence."

How about casting it as: "Sometimes for the purpose of
translating a sentence while I am using a Klingon's language, I
succeed." I'll let you try it, rather than spelling it out. You
sound like you'd like the exercise. (Why do I feel like Q when
he leaned over to whisper in Picard's ear and then smiled and
withdrew?) Perhaps you had some other meaning in mind?

> vaj jIjang 'e' vInID.

MajQa'

> --Rob

charghwI'