tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 26 04:05:31 1994

Re: Klingon Advertisement

| From: Paul E. Black <[email protected]>
|
| The Trustees Savings Bank in the UK has decided on a new policy to attract
| youngsters into its fold - it is advertising in Klingon.

Greatness.

| I have a full page ad in front of me - it looks like this:
|
|                  What would you
|                   say to 6 free
|                 cinema vouchers
|

|                  (picture of a Klingon, with 'speech bubble'
|                   saying "nob blH naDEV"

Oh, no, it's the revenge of the killer Klinglish!  Apparently the word order
(and some of the parts of speech) is English.

"give them HERE!"

| the rest of the text goes:
|
| yljat1hQo' 'lj joj 13-15? Dl'Sa poSmoH a TSB FirstSave Account Sa suq a cash
| card 'e' jaj teq vo' 6,000 cash machines 'je t1hlH Hev six #1 cinema
| vouchers, 'ej other money off vouchers yaj'a'. jaH local TSB 'ej Hev more
| details.

Don't speak, listen between 13-15 [13.00 hrs - 15.00 hrs?]?  <unknown>
open a TSB FirstSave Account
<unknown> get a cash card that [oh, horrid!] day remove (from) 6,000 cash
machines (mispelling:) and you(pl) receive six #1 cinema vouchers, and
other money off vouchers, understand?  Go [to the] local TSB and receive
more details.

|                         T  S  B
|
|                    We want YOU to say HISlaH

Look out, I think I'm gonna blow chunks!

Someone ought to help these people.  Could the KLI or Glen's ILS somehow
advertise somewhere (in the UK, since that appears to be where Klingon
is going commercial) that they can offer a translation service?

On the other hand, I guess the whole idea of the TSB ad was to make it as
simple as possible to untranslate the Klingon.

--Rob

Back to archive top level