tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 15 22:46:31 1994

Re: Why Make A Klingon Bible?

According to [email protected]:

> I'm on a Christian mailing list, and the people there are currently
> discussing the Klingon Bible Translation Project.  Some take the view
> that, hey, everybody needs a hobby.  Others say that this is disrespectful
> and a waste of time: there are lots of REAL languages that don't have a
> Bible translation yet.

Most of the people in the Klingon Bible Translation Project
probably don't speak any of those languages that don't have
Bibles yet, so the idea that these people should not translate
it into Klingon is, at best, short sighted. Beyond that, it
becomes a matter of freedom of speech. Do these people really
want to make a political stand to discriminate against Klingon
speakers; to ban the Bible from Klingon speakers?

> Still more are saying that Klingon culture (as portrayed on Star Trek) is
> not very forgiving or loving, and that it's a mockery to translate the
> Bible into a language centered around war and killing and so on.

During the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition, there were
Christian cultures AT LEAST as violent and barbaric as anything
portrayed as Klingon. I've never seen any reference to the use
of torture by Klingons, for example (unless you wish to get
into their sex lives...). Meanwhile, I suspect that these
modern Christians are basing their bias against Klingons in
ignorance of the culture that has arisen from those modern
persons who identify themselves with the Klingon culture.

> Others have said that some famous writings have been rendered in Klingon,
> noting the references to Shakespeare in STVI:TUC.  The Bible is just a
> logical thing to translate.

Some would say that. I personally think the Bible is a rather
ILLOGICAL thing to translate, in ANY language, but it is
certainly no less logical to translate it into Klingon than in
any OTHER language.

> WELL, I figured I would ask if anybody here who has done work on this, and
> who has rendered parts of the Bible into Klingon, would like to send me a
> few words I can forward to the Christian mailing list.

My first reaction is that it is simply none of their business.
They do not own a copyright on the Bible. They may choose to
embrace it as an important work, but they have no right to
restrict its use by anyone for any reason. Period. See
Constitution.

> The primary
> concern seems to be that you are mocking something they consider important.

Klingonists who lack respect for the Bible usually lack
interest in it as well. I lack interest in the Bible. I have
nothing to do with the KLBTP, but I defend the right of others
to be free to take on this project. Their interest in this is
sincere, either from a religious center or from a linguistic
one. Does anybody really think that some person on the fence
about Christianity is going to see a Klingon Bible and become
swayed AGAINST Christianity? What is the problem?

> Can you reassure them that this is not the case, or maybe say why you feel
> it is worth doing?  Does anyone have evangelistic goals in mind ("I became
> as a Trekkie to win the Trekkies")?

This was a concern of mine when the project began. I enjoy the
Klingon list here on the Internet and I did not want it
overtaken by Christians. The compromise was reached where those
wishing to post about KLBTP would consistently place "KLBTP" in
the subject header so the rest of us could skip the message and
go on with conversations as usual. They are free to enjoy their
interests and the rest of us are free to enjoy ours.

> Are there any passages which work
> better in Klingon than in English?  Are there any ways in which the
> translation is easier to Klingon?

The Klingon version is BOUND to be as true to the original
meaning as the King James version that has been so popular for
centuries. We have less of a political agenda than he did.

> Sadly, my fellow Christians are noted for getting a bit carried away with
> seeing modern culture as "out to get them", and they are also prone to
> running a bit wild with speculations about how there's an anti-Christian
> agenda in everything.  Here is a chance to stop a potentially damaging
> set of rumors and accusations before it gets started.

I, for one, don't mind Christianity much so long as they leave
me alone. I am not involved in KLBTP. The same is true of
Krankor, from what I understand. All those involved in the
project are either sincere Christians or those with sincere
academic interest in proving that the language is capable of
conveying the concepts of any long-standing work, such as the
Bible. They want to see how well Klingon can convey these
ancient writings. Nobody is parodying Christianity. It needs no
parody. Were I christian, I'd be far more concerned about the
words and actions of televangelicals than the KLBTP. They are
more publicized and more embarrassing.

> Mare See Bow Cups,
> Darren
>
> Darren F Provine / [email protected]