tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 20 03:22:24 1994

KLBC: Re: nuqneH

**** KLBC ****

Subj:	nuqneH

Margaret Kippvo':

> nuqneH

nuqneH, and welcome!
I'm only guessing at where your sentence breaks are, so if I'm wrong,
don't hesitate to point out my errors.

> Margaret Kipp pongwI'

{pong} is a really nasty word, especially since most beginners really
want to use it!  Using {pong} as a noun, your sentence is lacking a
verb: "my name M. K."  You'd have to use a pronoun to get the "to be"
construction (TKD 6.3).  For example:

Holtej 'oH pongwI''e'

(My name is Holtej)

> Ottawa U-Daq ghojwI' jIH

Now you've got the pronoun as "to be" correct here.  maj!  I'd caution
against using this construction too much, though, especially since
it'd be much more straightforward to say { {Ottowa}Daq jIghojtaH }.

> tlhIngan Hol vIHaDtaD

I'm not really sure what you mean, unless {-taD} really should be {-taH},
in which case your sentence is good.

> De'wI'mey je laD je QeD je tlhinganpu'

First off, {je} goes at the end, not between nouns (TKD 5.3).  And, it's
between _nouns_, so {laD} really isn't appropriate in the list, unless
you make it a noun: {laDghach}.  Finally, your sentence is missing a verb.

> nI' jIyIn ej jIchep

I presume you're going for the Vulcan "live long and prosper."  Setting
{nI'} aside for a moment, you've got the first person singular prefix on
your verbs, so you're saying "I live and I prosper."   You want imperative
prefixes there.  Now, returning to {nI'}, if you're using it as an
adjective ("live long"), check TKD 4.4: Adjectives can only be used to modify
nouns, not verbs.  You might get away with something like {poH nI'
yIyIn 'ej yIchep} (also,  note the apostrophe on {'ej}; Klingon words do
not begin with vowels).

> Only a fool fights in a burning house.
> juHmeQDaq Suv qoH neH       }}:-)

You can not combine a noun and a verb as you do with *{juHmeQ}.  Try
someting like "in a house which is burning": {meQbogh juHDaq}.  Otherwise,
your sentence is good; nice use of {neH}, good word order: maj!

> Qapla'
>
> Margaret Kipp     [email protected]
> Transportation chief   USS Galaxy

--Holtej