tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 17 21:40:39 1994

Re: qep'a'

According to David Starr:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 1994, William H. Martin wrote:
> > I think I just had a parity check.
> >
> > charghwI'
> >

> Where's the replacement proverb?
>
> Starr

HIvqa' veqlargh.

I've been thinking about the nature of some of these proverbs.
For example, HIvqa' veqlargh clearly goes to "The devil strikes
again!" Meanwhile, {Suvrup SuvwI'na'} maps closer to "Want to
make something of it?" In other words, while maybe I just did
something embarrassing, I am ready to fight to regain my honor.
Are you really ready to fight to challenge that?

I'm not sure, but I think it was janSIy who proposed the
probable meaing behind "The fire is always hotter...", but I'm
not sure I understood the explanation well enough to try to
describe it here. Perhaps he can speak to it himself?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level