tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 17 07:05:39 1994

Thinking in Klingon

>From: Heidi Wessman <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 12:48:02 -0600 (MDT)

>Pick a narrow range of phrases to use, and use them constantly.  vISopnIS
>and vItlhutlhnIS are nice.  I have my students use vIyaj in class when
>they understand, and vIyajbe' when they don't.  By using these phrases,
>you learn practical usage of Klingon, and also the meaning.  Soon, you
>stop translating vISopnIS into the english "I need to eat" and vISopnIS
>directly expresses hunger.

Well, so does "jIghung".  And a point: "vIyaj" means "I understand *IT*";
definitely implying that the speaker has something in mind that is being
understood.  To understand things in general, use "jIyaj" (see TKD; not
with me now, so no page-references).  Ditto, "vISopnIS" means "I need to
eat *IT*"---i.e. you have something in mind you need to eat.

Just a little point...

~mark

Back to archive top level