tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 09 03:37:23 1994

Re: *boHem*ngan bomnong

>It is absolutely important to emphasize that anytime you use a word that
>is not in direct evidence in the corpus to flag it.
>
>And of course, the traditional way is simple.  Just remember to put an
>asterisk in front of the word which is not in evidence, e.g.
>>  *SIp  <   n sheep   <transliteration of English to describe Terran animal

I should like to take this opportunity to remind people that the policy of
this list is to frown upon transliteration.  It makes it look all clever
and all but it is hard to read and understand, and sometimes you have to
just admit that Klingon just doesn't have a word for a thing and use the
English.  Especially proper nouns, like "Philadelphia".  Some amount
of transliteration shows up here because we get posts of things from
the translation projects, which, understandably, have some different
guidelines.  But as far as basic list conversation, it is better to
not obfuscate.  *maS'e'chu'Setlh is just inherantly harder to grok
than just saying "Massachusetts", and going through the trouble to
figure it out doesn't teach you anything about Klingon anyway.

				--Captain Krankor

Back to archive top level