tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 07 01:18:45 1994

Do, ray', mI'(was:Bad to

   * Quoting Klingon Language List to Jennifer James
   * On Stardate 06-29-94  15:21

jatlhpu' ~mark:

 >tlhaQbejqu' mughlIj.  mu'reH Dachoqbej.  majQa'!  parHa'.
 KLL> ^^^^^^

 KLL> This threw me a second.  We don't really have any evidence that you
 KLL> can make compounds like this, with a noun and a verb.  We know you can
 KLL> compound nouns with nouns, but that's it.  Besides, it's pretty
 KLL> obviously a loan-translation.  Hmm, can we do better?  I suppose we
 KLL> could use "Quj" instead of "reH", wince we know that's a noun, but it's
 KLL> still a cheap translation.  Any better ideas?

Many verbs seem to double as nouns when the intended meaning is not
"that which" ("Quj", "qaD", "ghong", "'oy'", etc.), so I had assumed
that this was a general rule.  Incorrect assumption?  ... Whoops,
just re-read TKD p.176.

I agree about the cheap translation, though.  Can you use
nominalizations in compound nouns?  If so, what about "mu'So'wI'"?
I think word_guile would be perfect except I can't find a word for
"guile".

 KLL> ~mark

Jennifer James

... Internet: [email protected]