tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 06 21:39:26 1994

The Victory of the Hunter

>From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 06 Jul 1994 20:20:05 -0400 (EDT)

>> > Huh!  Let Glen say you can use "Hurgh" as a noun here!  That's "pickle"!
>> >
>> It is NOT pickle.  Page 89.  Hurgh:  to be dark.  Thus, Hurghghach =
>> darkness.  Give me a break!!!!

>This gave me such a deep belly laugh!  No no, ~mark knows that you
>mean "darkness." He's referring to Glen Proechel's practice of using
>bare verb roots as nouns whenever you please.  In this case, if you
>follow Glen's article in HolQeD 2:4, then {HurghDaq} would be "in a
>pickle," not "in the dark."  Although, I'm sure Glen'd just say
>something like, "I can tolerate some ambiguity in the language."

Yes, that *was* my point; that "Hurgh" as a noun is given as "pickle", not
"darkness" and thus "Hurghghach" is quite defensible.  Glen probably would
say that the ambiguity is tolerable... and I'd probably agree with him, to
tell the truth.  We have homonyms at least that weird in Terran languages.

>--Holtej

~mark

Back to archive top level