tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 01 03:25:10 1994

KBTP: Psalm 117

Mark E. Shoulson writes:

 > >From: Joel Anderson <[email protected]>
 > >Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 10:51:57 -0500
 >

 > >Psalm 117
 > >====================
 > >tlHIngan-Hol
 >
 > >   joH'a' penaD Hoch
 > >   pequvmoH ghotpu' 'u'
 > >   numuSHa'qu'mo'
 > >   'ej vItDaj 'oH reH 'e'
 >
 > >   joH'a' penaD !
 >

 > Heh.  Classic shortest chapter in the Bible.  Way to go!
Wow - I post and no flame... whew.  Now I think I'll do the
shortest verse.... (SaQ ISuS)

 > > V: penaD: you(imp:pl) praise, commend, approve.
 >
 > This is a problem here, I'm afraid.  It;s a tricky one to remember.  The
 > only time when the imperative to singular subjects and to plural subjects
 > differ is when there is no object.  That is, "yIQong" is "Sleep!" commanded
 > to one person, and "peQong" is to more than one.  However, "yISop" is "Eat
 > it!" to one *or* more people (or possible just "Eat!" (no subject) to only
 > one person).  So the "pe-" here should be "yI-".

toH!  Where is that in TKD?  Not that I doubt you.... I usually try
to preserve the plural/singular (as does the KJV)

 > > N: Hoch: everyone, all, everything.
 >
 > Good, but did you lose the "nations" on purpose?  That wasn't added by the
 > translator to English; it's in the Hebrew.  Maybe "Seghmey Hoch"?

Sort of.  I like it being terse - does goyim == Seghmey? What about
wo'mey? [maybe I was avoiding the epithet quality of 'goy'...]

 > >V: numuSHa'qu'mo': he/she/it/they-us because of really not hate, detest.
 >
 > Yeah, this is a good translation of what you have.  The Hebrew is strange

(d'Armond's parser for *THAT* - I use it to vet things I write)

 > there, and there are several interpretations.  The one you have is a
 > perfectly valid one, but out of curiosity I wonder if I could cast another
 > one well, especially since it's almost Klingon in imagery.  See, the phrase
 > seems to be saying "For his kindness has overcome us" (in the sense of
 > defeating even).  I suppose one could do something with -ghach, though I'd
 > probably wind up with something using "'ej" instead.... which really would
 > just wind up being what you have only wordier.  Whatever.

Yeah - I used muSHa' under the influence of the English version that
I've memorized that uses 'love' for 'hesed'.  I think RSV usually uses
'covenant faithfullness' - I wonder...could have used yuDHa' honesty
for that (curious how positive Human virtues are cast as negative
thIngan ones....)

 > >   'ej vItDaj 'oH reH 'e'
 >
 > > N: 'ej: and.
 >
 > > N: vItDaj: his/her truth.
 >
 > > N: 'oH: it.
 >
 > > N: reH: always.
 >
 > > V: 'e': that.
 >
 > Hmm..  Oh, I see, "and it is his truth.  That always is"?  It makes more
 > sense than when I first read it, but still not much....

hmmm..... I may leave that for now...

	qathlo'qu'!

     [email protected] | Apertus Technologies | GEnie:j.anderson71
 jineHbe'! DevwI'wI' ghaH joH'a''e'!* The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want

Back to archive top level