tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 30 17:13:19 1994

Re: Introduction

On Thu, 23 Jun 1994, Jennifer James wrote:
> BTW, as soon as I get more proficient in tlhIngan Hol, I'd like to
> try translating some folk songs into tlhIngan Hol.  Anybody else
> interested in English/Scottish folk songs?
> Is there a tlhIngan equivalent to faerie?  I don't know much about
> tlhIngan mythology.

   I am currently learning how to play the bagpipes, but I am sorry to say
that I cannot help with folk songs.  I may, OTOH, be able to help with
the word for Faerie.  Few humans know much about tlhIngan wIch.  And of
course, what you might call the tlhIngan equivalent of Faeries are much
different than the Faeries of tera'.
   But, here are my suggestions.  Looking at the Latin origins of the
word Faerie you could use Sangan or Sanyoq.  Taking a clue from the
Gaelic word for Faeries (Sidh) I might either use the word HuDyoq,
HuDngan, or SIy.  (The third would -- quite unintentionally -- make my
name mean "The device's Faerie".)
   Of course, none of these conveys the modern meaning of the word
Faerie.  For that you might prefer to describe the aspects of the being
which are important for the understanding of the story.  That might get a
little unwieldy in a song; so I would preface the song with a description
and use one of the above words in the song.

naDev reH bIquvjaj,

janSIy   }}:+D>                                    [email protected]

Back to archive top level