tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 04:21:30 1994

Word used by Marnen

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 09:33:56 -0500

>From: "Kevin Wilson (DV 1994)" <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 22:40:19 -0400 (EST)

>I am really uncomfortable with using question words in this way.  It
>definitely goes against the canon.  I think, however, that we have another
>way out, namely rewording sentences.  I do not know if rewording would work in
>all instances, but in this case it does.  How about

>   jatlh 'e' mevnISDI', 'oH Sov SuvwI'

Well, I might prefer it without the "'oH", but otherwise it's okay.  It
doesn't emphasize the time quite so much, but that's okay.  Another
rephrase would be "jatlh 'e' mev 'e' Sov SuvwI'": a warrior knows *that* he
has finished speaking.  Not precisely the words I had in English?  So what.
In this usage, it suffices.  I, too, doubt that such rephrasing always
works, though, and I don't think it goes against canon.  What examples have
you for better suggestions?

>How does this sound?

>Qapla'
>Kevin