tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 21:14:34 1994

MISC: The oath?

>From: Al Goodnis <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 09:00:26 EST

>   In "The Emissary", Worf starts to say the oath,  it sounded line

>	   jIqong'e' jIH  (hopefully I've got it close)

>   I thought that the use of qong for love was Taboo on the list??
>   Doesn't this just mean "*I* love"?

Use of "qong" as anything is probably taboo; it doesn't appear anywhere in
the dictionary that I know of.  "bang" as a verb is considered non-canon,
yes, is that what you meant to type?  In any case, let's get it straight
again: what Dorn says or mangles on the shows is *not* considered canon.
It may be fodder for discussion to work out what words he was using, but
it's not grounds for adding words to the dictionary.  Even if you knew how
to spell it, "gIy tal" or whatever would not mean "to the death" to any
Klingon speaker I know.

Oh, and another question you could have asked: is it possible to have, as
you show above, a noun-suffix ("-'e'") on a verb?  If it's a separate word,
a pronoun 'e', then it would seems to be "I am 'I love/whatever'", which is
really strange.  Basically, don't look to Dorn for Klingon pronouncements.

>   Qapla'
>    -qor

~mark

Back to archive top level