tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 09:50:30 1994

Re: Word used by Marnen

On Wed, 16 Feb 1994, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> Actually, what I meant was "A definite warrior knows when he has  finished
> speaking", but maybe I didn't word it as well as I might have.  In any
> case, yes, we don't really have relative pronouns or temporal or spatial
> ones in Klingon, all we have are the question words.  We've generally
> adopted the convention to use them, with the proviso that we realize what
> it comes down to.  If you conside the sentence as "When has he finished
> speaking? That, a great warrior knows", you can see that pragmatically it
> *does* make sense to permit the question works as relative pronouns.
> "Where do they keep the chocolate? I know that": nuqDaq yuch lupol 'e'
> vISov.  It works, I think, for "I know where they keep the chocolate."
> Now, there *is* some ambiguity between "a great warrior knows when he has
> finished speaking" and "When does a great warrior know he has finished
> speaking?", namely, whether the "ghorgh" applies to the main clause or the
> initial subordinate one.  Bummer, huh.  This kind of ambiguity is perfectly
> natural, I think, and it makes plenty of sense that Klingon should have to
> deal with it.  We have the same problem with relative clauses as objects
> and "-vaD" or "-Daq" or "-mo'" words at the front of them: "DujDaq puq
> DaqIppu'bogh vIlegh" could mean "I see the child which you hit on the ship"
> or "on the ship, I see the child which you hit" (i.e. the seeing or hitting
> may have happened on the ship).  We cope.
>
> ~mark

I am really uncomfortable with using question words in this way.  It
definitely goes against the canon.  I think, however, that we have another
way out, namely rewording sentences.  I do not know if rewording would work in
all instances, but in this case it does.  How about

	jatlh 'e' mevnISDI', 'oH Sov SuvwI'

How does this sound?

Qapla'
Kevin