tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 07:36:40 1994

Beginner Standard

>From: Captain Krankor <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 17:57:43 -0700
>Subject: beginners
>
>2) Let us put the keyboard *BEGINNER* at the beginning of all such
>posts.  This is to remind more advanced people who read and reply to
>such posts to tone down and keep it simple.  (In particular, it is a
>reminder for *me*, since I intend to read and participate in the
>beginner conversation).  The subject header is probably insufficient
>for this, since, there are people (myself, at least) who just look
>at everything that goes by.

I like this idea.  However, I think "BEGINNER" is too long a word; maybe
BGNR?  BEGIN?  chu'wI'?  Something that doesn't take up the whole Subject
field...  :)

On the same note, perhaps we could/should institute an Advanced note,
too, perhaps ADV:, so that beginners can weed out articles that they
probably don't need to read (since they'd probably be confused by what
was being said/written/argued anyway).

>On the other hand, having everybody correcting everybody else is
>indeed a problem, which is why the grammarian system was instituted
>here.  It is not perfect, but I think it works pretty well.  Since I
>intend to read the beginner stuff, I can act in that role, however,
>because the beginner errors should be pretty straight-forward, this
>might be an excellent time for someone else who thinks they know
>their stuff to take a crack at it, just for the extra practice.
>Anybody wanna volunteer to do corrections for the beginner
>discussion?  Send me mail:  [email protected]
>
>Again, the role of this person will be to provide supportive
>clarification and correction, including judging what is of universal
>value and what might be better taken off line in private e-mail
>(although I suspect that for the beginners, most things will wanna
>go public, at least for a while).  The role is not to berate people
>for mistakes or show off how smart you are.

Perhaps we can have "Official Klingon Language Tutors", who are responsible
for correcting mistakes made by beginners?  This could even lead to a
"Big Klingon/Little Klingon" e-mail relationship between two people, so that
if one person has a problem with some relatively benign area of the language,
it could be taken to personal e-mail, and reduce some of the clutter of the
mailing list.  I'm thinking in terms of, for example, a person just can't
seem to get the hang of how the noun-noun construction works, or how it
should be used (like me); instead of having several people go on about it
on the mailing list (cluttering mailboxes everywhere), a single Klingon
Tutor could take it to direct, private e-mail to clear up any problems the
singular student is having...

...Paul

Back to archive top level