tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 16 02:04:36 1994

Re: Beginners Unite!

jatlh ~mark:
: >jatlh Matt Gomes:
: >[headers]
: >: qajatlhneS:
: >:
: >:   We will start with the easy things and work up from there.  If you're
: >: interested in participating, please let me know (I'll try to coordinate
: >: as best as possible).  I also think we should use a FLA (Four Letter
: >: Acronymn) like the Shakespear/Bible translators are using... if noone
: >: has a big objection to KLBC (Klingon Language Beginner's Conversations),
: >: I think that would do...
:
: Ahem.  The properly self-referential term for a four-letter-acronym is an
: ETLA: Esxended Three-Letter-Acronym. :-)
jiHaghqu'bej. ;>

[...]
: Marnen, were you listening?  Did you see the Subject: header?  It says
: "Beginners".  The whole point of this thread is that the people involved
: are *not* major-league Klingon speakers.  Correcting them in Klingon will
: likely wind up as less than incredibly helpful.  true, it's important to
: give them some sentences to use as examples, but they'd be better served if
: the sentences they *needed* to understand (namely, corrections) were
: accessible to them.
va baQa' ghuy'cha' Hu'tegh. I did not realize that Matt considered himself a
beginner; I was posting the corrections for his benefit before the beginners
got started on it. I used Klingon because I think there's far too much English
on this list (and I'm guilty of much of it).

:
: Anyway.  Marnen correctly corrects your misspelling of "De'wI'", since
: "DewI'" isn't right.  He does, however, miss a deeper error which you
: should watch out for.  Remember in Klingon that the prefix you add to a
: verb (the conjugation) depends on its subjcet *and* its object.  So "I have
: a computer" has to have the prefix on "ghaj" which corresponds to a subject
: of "I" and an object of "it".  That prefix is "vI-", and not "jI-".  "jI-"
: is the prefix to be used when there is no object involved, like in "I
: sleep"/"jIQong".  Similarly "Do you have a computer" has to have the prefix
: for "you"-subject and "it"-object, namely "Da-".  Unless, of course, you're
: addressing more than one person, where it might be more appropriate to use
: the "you-plural"-subject, "it"-object (or "them"-object; conveniently they
: are the same) prefix; "bo-".  So:
:
: De'wI' vIghaj.
: De'wI' Daghaj'a'?
:
: Would be a correct way to say it.
Qi'yaH. I was reading my mail real fast, and I just missed these. DopDaq qul
yichenmoH, QobDi' ghu'.

:
: >:
: >: -mat
: >: [email protected]
:
: ~mark
:
:

Qapla'? ghobe'. poHvam Qapla' vighajbe'pu'. 'ach Savan jiH, Qichqemwi'.