tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 23:22:42 1994

the verb "taH"

>From: [email protected] (Erich Schneider)
>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 07:58:18 CST

>With respect to the meaning "be at a negative angle" for "taH":

>As we know, many of these "be ..." verbs are used in an "adjectival"
>way. Perhaps this is the intended use of "taH" here. Namely, when
>reading off coordinates.

>wa'vatlh loS DoD vaghmaH Soch taH bIH jagh Dujna' Quv'e'.
>The enemy vessel's coordinates are one-oh-four mark negative fifty-two.

Maybe, but there are probably also more colloquial uses.  Somehow to me it
seems natural for a Klingon whose bed suddenly collapses while he's on it,
so his feeet are still at the usual level but his head has fallen to the
ground, to yell out, "baQa'!  jItaH!"  Maybe there is argument against this
from a geometrical standpoint, but it sounds awfully intuitive to me.
Sorta being head-down.  Not quite to the extent of "jIyoy" tho.  Just a
thought.

>-QumpIn 'avrIn  [email protected]

~mark

Back to archive top level