tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 08:38:30 1994

Re: Computer languages

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

>>taHmeH "ENTER" yI'uy...

>Thisis okay as it stands, *BUT* bear in mind what it means.  "Press
>Enter in order that *it* continue."  That's an okay reading of the
>usual English sentence, but if you're thinking of "press enter to
>continue" in the sense of "press enter in order that *you* continue",
>you should have "bItaHmeH".

I had you-no object in mind, actually.

>'Course, then there's the question of whether or not "taH" is the
>best verb; "bItaHmeH <<Enter>> yI'uy" sounds like a threat to me: if
>you don't press Enter, you won't continue existing... :)

I would like to think that taH can alse refer to continuing a
process or any action and not just mean the continuation of
"life".

I also considered ghoS, but to me that implies walking and
also means "approach" as well as "proceed", so the meaning is less
clear.. to me, anyways.

[email protected]

Back to archive top level