tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 11 04:42:17 1994

Re: prefixes on pronouns

marqoSvo':

>\
>On Feb 9,  8:21pm, Captain Krankor wrote:
>\ How would you say:  "Stop whining and be a Klingon!"
>\
>\ I submit:
>\
>\ bIvIngtaH 'e' yImev 'ej tlhIngan yISoH!
>\
>\ Yep, there is no proper defense of it, and, when pushed, I'll readily admit
>\ it is technically illegal.  But it's clear, elegant, and there's just no
>\ other way to do it.  Frankly, I think Okrand would sanction it if it were
>\ brought before him.  Again, I'm willing to look the other way on this one.
>\
>\                                 --Krankor
>
>I think that in this case it would be better, and at least definitely legal,
>to use {Da} in place of {SoH} in this instance...
>
>	bIvingtaH 'e' yImev 'ej tlhIngan yIDa!
>
>Which is closer to the intent of the original, anyway - you're not instructing
>them to change their form, but their behaviour.

Well, regardless of the mublaHghachqoq of yISoH, I instantly agree that
marqoS's is the superior translation.  majQa'!

I suppose one could, in similar form, use SaH for the "be in a place" meaning
of "to be":

    pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH            "I am in my quarters"
    wej rep pa'wIjDaq yISaH     "Be in my quarters at 3:00"

So, ok, how would you do one where we really do mean *to be* the thing, not
just to act like it?  Here are versions with yISoH.  Any alternatives?

Worf, to Riker, who's vascillating (*again!*) about whether to accept
yet another promotion to captain of some other ship:

    "HoD yISoHvIpQo'!"      'Don't be afraid to be [a] captain!'

Here, I don't think Da cuts it.  We're not talking about behavior, we're talking
about accepting the rank and actually *being* one.

How about:  Worf, talking to Odo:

    "tlhIngan yISoH!"       'Be a Klingon!'

Here, Worf really *is* telling him to change form {{;-)

And a perhaps murkier one:  Worf giving Data a costuming suggestion
for the upcoming Halloween party in 10 Forward:

    "HaghmoHwI' yISoH"      'Be a clown.'

We'll leave aside the issue of whether or not HaghmoHwI' is the best
way to say "clown". {{:-)

Food for thought.

                    --Krankor

P.S.  HaghmoHwI' yISoH!  HaghmoHwI' yISoH!  HaghmoHwI' muSHa' qo' Hoch....
(doesn't scan very well, does it?)

Back to archive top level