tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 21:38:34 1994

Re: {-moH}; syntax of Hoch

On Feb 8, 10:15am, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> "Hivje' latlh" is "the glass' other one",...

> ~mark

     Sorry, but this is one of those picky little English things that gets
me. That's "...the glass's other one,..." Strunk and White I.1, page 1: "Form
the possessive singular of nouns by adding ['s]. Follow this rule whatever
the final consonant... Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names
in [-es] and [-is], the possessive [Jesus'], and such forms as [for
conscience' sake, for righteous' sake]. But such forms as [Moses' laws, Isis'
temple] are commonly replaced by [the laws of Moses], [the temple of Isis]."

     If you were pronouncing it, you would pronounce the second [s], and
since I hear in my mind what I read, this particular kind of error is
jarring, though I suppose as a Klingon, I should silently bear the pain.
{{:)>

charghwI'

Back to archive top level