tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 02:50:52 1994

Computer lists, and vocab

This message got cut off when I sent it last time.  Here is is in its
entirety.

I recently finished entering the whole TKD plus the words in veS QonoS and
the tapes and what Okrand gave us in HolQeD (oops, I think I forgot
those...) into one of those teeny little pocket electronic organizers (a
Sharp model YO-310, for the interested).  I'm not sure that it's actually
faster than flipping pages, but it is easier to carry and and a bit more
flexible to use.  You can search for the English or the Klingon and get
back results within a few seconds.  I've long had such lists on my computer
at work, and some commands to grep through them (and that's been eminently
useful in reading email or talking online).  I plan to get the computer
hookup thingy for my organizer and uploading the list to my machine.  I
*HOPE* that it's at least somewhat ASCII, so I can manage to massage it
into a normal form, since it's probably the most complete list I've ever
seen all in one place.

But if you want to talk about a task that's helpful, try typing in all the
blasted words!  OK, maybe it didn't teach me all that many that IO
remember, but I certainly learned something about the breadth of the
Klingon word-stock.  There are more words there than you think.  I wrote
down two orr three points I wanted to mention here, not a quarter as many
as I should have.  Let's see...

pI' is the same as ror.  Both "be fat".  There are other synonymns too,
like chetvI' and DuS.

jo is the plural of Sup.  Check out the meanings of "jey": "to defeat" and
"itinerary".  There are lots of other weird noun/verb combinations, and
nominalized verbs that aren't related to the verbs, etc.

Note "mej" and "tlheD", rather near synonymns.  We also have jagh, ghol,
and 'ovwI' (maybe.  Look up the last under 'ov).  Or HeQ and lob.  There
are certainly subtle differences between these, but it's interesting still.
Also consider Qaw' and Sang and pej, not to mention the chenHa'moH
mentioned in the text.  vaj means the same thing as SuvwI'; that was a new
one to me!  'oDwI' might be better than noHwI' for the translation of
Ruth...

ngeHbej looks awfully like a suffixed verb... but it's a noun meaning
"cosmos".  I remember once seeing "He'ghach" for "smell", but we have "pIw"
for it (PU, maybe?).  Another easy one to remember is qaq, which is about
the same as maSlu', and easy to rememebr through its similarity to QaQ.

How come qawHaq appears twice in the listings?

qutluch is said to be a hand weapon; maybe it works by crystals
(qut=crystal, luch=equipment).  And speaking of luch, note the existence of
'aH also.

tay means be civilized, but as a noun it is a rite.  Civilization is
tayqeq....

See all the fun stuff we can learn...?

~mark

Back to archive top level