tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 01 22:17:03 1994

Re: How do you get across Much or Some?

On Feb 1,  7:07pm, Al Goodnis [-qor] wrote [and charghwI' replies]:
>         I have been having trouble translating much or some into tlhIngan.
> Such as;
>
>         I do not understand much of what is being said here.

     The grammarians have the authoritative answer. My suggestion is:

                   naDev mu'leghmey law' vIyajbe'

>         Some of them are dishonorable.

                ghomvetlhDaq quvHa' nuvpu' puS

     Or if "some" implies more than a few, but less than many:

               ghomvetlhDaq puSbe' nuvpu' quvHa'bogh

     Which brings up a point of grammar that has recently made me curious.
With relative clauses, the liberal interpretation of adjectival verbs used
two ways and {-wI'} nominalized verbs, could I speak of someone who sits,
speaks, has a headache and bores me in the following manners:

     ba' wuQbogh jatlhwI' Dal = The boring speaker who has a headache sits.
     wuQ jatlhbogh DalwI' ba' = The sitting bore who speaks has a headache.
     jatlh Dalbogh ba'wI' wuQ = The head-aching sitter who is boring speaks.
     Dal ba'bogh wuQwI' jatlh = The speaking head-acher who sits is boring.
     Dal jatlhbogh wuQwI' ba' = The sitting head-acher who speaks is boring.
     jatlh WuQbogh ba'wI' Dal = The boring sitter who has a headache speaks.

     Well... You get the idea. nuq DaQub?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level