tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 01 21:06:41 1994

Unsubscribing in one easy lesson

The following message was lost a few days ago when my machine was
upgraded, so I'm retransmitting...

and signoff, but you have to use it correctly. Here's how:

Send a message to the address <[email protected]>.
Note the capitalization! Unlike virtually every other instance in e-mail,
sendmail alaises are CASE-SENSITIVE. This is a known bug in sendmail, but
one I am powerless to change. Since it is not practical for me to create
aliases that specify every possible capitalization, I use the Okrand
romanization exclusively.

The body of the message that you send is unimportant. All list commands
go in the subject line. If you want to sign off, put the word "unsubscribe"
in your subject line. If you want information about available commands,
put the word "help" in your subject line. If you put something in
the subject line that the software doesn't understand, you'll receive
the help file.

If, for some reason, you can get through to the server but your message
doesn't seem to be processed, you can get my attention by sending a
message with the word "attention" in the subject line. If, for any reason,
you don't seem to be able to reach the -request alias at all, please
send mail directly to me at <[email protected]> or <[email protected]>
rather than sending mail to the list. I don't always read every message
on the list every day, so requests sent here may take a while for me to
notice. In addition, I read the list from home, but I administer it at work.
This means that there's an additional delay while I transfer the information
to my to-do list and try to remember to handle it on my next semi-periodic
list cleanup.

I urge anyone who wants to sign off to try again to use the list software,
or, if that fails to work, to send mail to me directly.

Elias Israel

Back to archive top level