tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 31 22:52:24 1994

Re: Dochmey

On Jan 31,  6:35pm, Will Martin wrote:
> Subject: Re: Dochmey
>
> On Jan 31,  5:42pm, David Barron wrote:

     Pardon the English... A more fair response to David Barron's concern
about Shakespeare's runon sentences is to take to heart the statement in TKD
that one sentence in English often must be said in two or more sentences in
Klingon. I do not believe that it is necessary to keep the artificial
boundaries of sentences created by the English translators. We may even need
to reorder the sentences in order to do this well. If we are going to restore
these works to their original Klingon, we must do so in the spirit of the
original language. qar'a'? The MEANING is more important than the physical
location of details like periods or sentence order.

     It IS important to have one character say all the things that character
is supposed to say (without necessarily getting it in the same number of
sentences or in the same sentence order) before the next character speaks. It
is important that the major plot and moral lessons of the play be preserved.
It is NOT important that yet a new English translation would result in the
same words as the ones we've been dealing with for centuries now...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level