tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 27 13:08:16 1994

Re: Origins of Klingon

>Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 15:41:04 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Terry Donnelly <[email protected]>

>I don't know if Okrand intentionally based anything in Klingon on this,
>but Hungarian has verbal affixes that express subject/object in the same
>affix.

So does Cherokee, I think.  Or maybe they're prefixes for both subject and
object.  Basically, Hungarian doesn't have a monopoly on it; he could have
gotten the idea from anywhere.  Klingon is not "based on" any one language,
so don't try to find that language.  Okrand is a linguist; he knows *lots*
of languages and took features from many of them... and some from none of
them, out of whole cloth.

>- ter'eS

~mark

Back to archive top level