tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 19 23:33:28 1994

vay' and lu'

maHvaD ghoSlI'ghach ja'pu' marqoS:
(2Qs: is this grammatically correct?
and does it convey the intended meaning?)

> \ I think vay' is the only way to express an unspecified
> \ OBJECT, or could you simply use the ...-it prefixes?
> You can always leave the subject and/or object "unspecified" and rely on
> the prefixes, but this is different from vay', which lets you explicitly
> specify that the subject or object is unspecified, if you catch my meaning.
> It is precisely the difference between "Someone does something to something."
> and "He does something to it." in English.
>
> -marqoS
If the difference is, like in German, that "he" and "it"
have to be specified (explicitly or implicitly) by context
whereas "s.o." and "s.th." don't, then I understand the
meaning, but then vay' IS the only way of expressing
_unspecified_ (in the above sense) objects, while
unspecified subjects could as well be expressed by -lu'.

Is that so?

				Marc 'Doychlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany