tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 16 14:09:55 1994

Split in >taH< meanings

>From an earlier message I wrote:

> Not that it's canon, but I feel that 'negative angle' most likely refers
> to how one would hold one's disruptor pistol when your Captain ordered
> you to lower your weapons.  (That is, to cause your disruptor to be at a
> negative angle.)   <snip>

In looking at Mark's comments also, I'm starting to feel that the
'negative angle' probably *does* refer to holding a disruptor pistol a
bit below the horizon...  You're not going to fire, but can quickly raise
it to blast your prisoner/enemy/target.  In this sense (and here's the
key) you are CONTINUING to hold your weapon at a readiness point.  You
aren't holding it up to fire, but you CONTINUE to have it ready.

Now this ties the two meanings of >taH< together!  And I'm all for a
little historical speculation on the origins of >Hol<....

So once upon a time, your virdakaasei, I mean disruptor was ordered by
your superior to continue to hold in position.  This meant lowering it
(so that it appeared to be at a negative angle), yet it continued to be
at readiness.

Ergo, we have a secondary meaning of >taH< created, and can now see a bit
of evolution in the warrior tongue...

Dave.

<[email protected]>     >tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?<  "Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager                operate in a vacuum, can
Wake Forest University Department of Physics       I at least have a little
Box 7261 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?"

Back to archive top level