tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 07:49:26 1994

Re: KLBC: Adverbials

>Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 01:26:32 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>Have you seen any canon examples that indicate whether you can negate
>adverbials?

The only canon example I know of which involves a negated adverbial shows
that you *can't* negate them that way.  Recall Okrand's admonition to "eat
everything or you will die without honor".  It's "Hoch DaSopbe'chugh vaj
batlh bIHeghbe'".  Note that the "-be'" on the main verb can thus be
interpreted as negation of the *adverb*, not necessarily the verb.  So how
to distinguish between this and "you will not-die with honor"?  Context,
context.  Same as English.  You could work out a long-winded unambiguous
casting, but most of the time you wouldn't use it.

>Could you say:

>ghaytanbe'	(unlikely)
>jaSbe'		(similarly)
>pe'vIlHa'	(gently)

I'd say no.  "-Ha'" and "-be'" are verb-suffixes anyway; who said that
"ghaytan" was a verb?

>yoDtargh

~mark

Back to archive top level