tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 08 09:59:10 1994

Re: More Material Needed!

According to Steve Weaver:

> Reading these few posts which have come across since I've receintly joined
> has made me aware of the fact that there is more information needed about
> the Klingon Culture. Has anyone seen or have any info reguarding any aspect
> of culture, religion, time line, history, etc (Qel qoreQ guide to naming
> your puq, for example). And just what IS the status of the Klingon
> Encyclopedea mentioned in TKD???

Well, THIS list is primarily aimed at the use of Klingon
language. If you want to talk about Klingon culture WHILE
SPEAKING IN KLINGON, that is perfectly appropriate here.
Meanwhile, if we get large volumes of DIVI' Hol on topics of
Klingon history and culture, many people here won't appreciate
it very much. It's just not what we are here for.

As for the encyclopedia, well, it never happened. Okrand
apparently had his tongue in cheek when he wrote that, and he
has been surprised how many people took him seriously. If you
reread his statement, you might consider that this was a dodge
to avoid having to make up a lot more words. I mean 1200 words
is a lot already for one person to create, though very few for
a full-blown language.

> I do hope to get much further than the "nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'" kinda
> phrases and I believe a greater understanding of the culture (outside of
> what is known from the movies and tv) would be of great assist in my
> endevors and poss. a few others out there in the sub-space ether.

Well, given the Hamlet project and the Bible translation
project, you can rest assured that there are people here going
farther than {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'}. Meanwhile, though
beginners like to belittle simple sentences and skip writing
them entirely, going straight for poetry, song translation and
scientific doctrines, the simple truth is that the best way to
learn a language is to write simple paragraphs.

Note that I did not say simple sentences. Yes, writing a
sentence in Klingon can get boring, both for the reader and
writer, but if you try writing simple MESSAGES, like you would
in normal correspondence, then even small talk will cause you
to run into unexpected problems. Solving those problems in
order to say something you want to say, you will begin to gain
the skills you really need for more ambitious projects.

Messages are interesting to write and read. Badly written
attempts at writing things that are massively beyond one's skill
level -- well, that's no fun for anybody, and nobody really
learns very much.

> Steve Weaver     [email protected]
> vlta'pu'be' !!!

charghwI'