tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 07 16:31:05 1994

Re: FWD>>>>>>RE- e-mail alert...

>I don't want to discourage anyone "being careful" (YES, BE CAREFUL;
>BACKUP SOFTWARE, RUN VIRUS CHECKERS, KNOW WHERE SOFTWARE COMES >FROM
>AND *DON'T* PIRATE ), but REALLY!  While I can imagine how a virus
>could be distributed within email *HOW* on earth (okay, Qo'noS) is
>this warning plausible.  Is it a Unix Virus? (which Unix?)  Dos?
>Amiga?  Mac?
>
>This smells like an urban legend of sorts....

No, Joel, it's a true story.  The virus originated on America On-Line.
 There's a feature of AOL, which allows members to send files back and forth
to each other.  If there's a file attached to an e-mail message, you can
download it with the click of a button.  Now, here's the fun part.  AOL
recently upgraded its software, and there's a new feature with which you can
schedule automatic logons to read mail and, you guessed it, download files.
 So, sets the environment for a playful virus to cut loose.  My understanding
is that the virus would attempt to erase the hard drive; I don't know about
how effective virus scanners, etc., are (I'm not saying they're not
effective, I just don't know what they'd do with this particular one).

--Holtej

Back to archive top level