tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 05 13:19:39 1994

Re: your mail

According to [email protected]:

> subject: KLBC - New words
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm a beginner speaker. I've been reading the list with delight. I have
> downloaded the pojwI' program from the ftp.kli.org and I love it! It's
> become one of my 'can't live without it' programs.

Glad we could help.

> Ok, I've been playing with word formations (It will take a while before
> I tackle sentences). I came up with a few words and I would like to have
> the begginer's grammarians look at it.

Umm. I tend to recommend that you work on sentences with the
existing vocabulary first. Why? Well, if you write sentences
with words that others can look up, then maybe somebody will
understand you. If you use words that others cannot look up,
your chances of being understood are less. Still, let's look at
these words...

> midshipman             -  botlh Dujbeq  or beqHom

Well, first, you presume that there is an equivalent rank among
Klingons. Maybe they don't.

> messanger              -  De'nobwI'

{De'qengwI'} might be better. Even then, this is not a standard
word, so others may not understand it.

> orator (or speaker)    -  latlh jatlhwI'

Probably just {jatlhwI'}

> laborer                -  vumwI'
> judge                  -  noHwI'

Definite yes for both of these.

> major (of city)        -  vengqumwI'

Again, this is a question of rank and rational constructions
make two presumptions:

1. That such a rank exists.

2. That it is thought of in the same way we think of such a
rank. A mayor might be {qumwI'Hom}, or maybe it would remain a
two word term, like {veng qumwI'}. ~mark likes to point out
that when we make our own compound nouns, they always make
sense in hindsight, but to a new person who was not there while
you were building the word, it might make no sense whatsoever.

> ok, I've been trying to translate the meaning and not 'word by word'.
> After looking up the meaning of the following terms in dictionaries and
> encyclopaedias, The closest I could come to the next ones in meaning
> is this:
>
> branch Admiral         -  'ay''aj
> rear Admiral           -  yav'aj

This is definitely a better approach than a literal
translation. For example, using the word {'o''aj} could get you
in deep doodoo. Still, this presumes that such ranks exist and
that they are thought of the same way we think of them. In all
likelihood, if such ranks exist, they probably have words for
them not in TKD.

> Thanks!  batlh Daqawlu'taH...

> >From an exchange program at Starfleet Academy: Cadet and Klingons at a cliff
> | Krang: We like your sport called "bungee jumping" | bortaS, member of the |
> |        human...                                   | tlhIngan wo'  at      |
> | Cadet: But you don't have a bungee cord!          | Trekverse....         |
> | Krang: SPLAT!                                     | tlhIngan Dun Duy'a'   |
> | Krong: Good one Krang!                            | to Gateway Station    |

I don't know about this. Klingons aren't that stupid. That's a
human stereotype. No Klingon would jump without a chord. Of
course, he might choose to use a chain instead... This is a
proven way to increase height and lose weight simultaneously!

qechvam DanIDchugh vaj meghlIj DachIl.

[If you try this idea, then you lose your lunch.]

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \