tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 03 14:53:40 1994

Re: One more thing (was: KBGC...)

On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> I realized something I'd missed in my corrections to this:
>
> >>It is the night of our dears Savior's birth.
> >>[Our dear Savior is(was) born that night]
> >>ramvetlh bogh toDwI'ma'voy
>
> To which I'd said, among other things...
>
> All of which remains true (or at least, I'd still say it).  But I missed
> another point.  If, indeed, the endearment suffix "-oy" is intended, the
> order is also wrong.  "-oy" is a type 1 noun suffix, and would therefore
> immediately follow the noun toDwI', making it toDwI'oyma'.  I still think
> it sounds like "savior-snookums" though.

I was thinking "vavoy" is "daddy."  I certainly don't
refer to my father as "snookums..." I saw it more as a term of
endearment.  I do have a dear friend Bill whom I refer to as Bill-chan
(Japanese endearment term).  I could use Billoy, but that looks wierd.

I was thinking more along the lines of "dear savior," or "beloved savior."

Any suggestions as to what could be used to indicate a respectful endearment?

Would it seem more respectful if "neS" were used?  "neS" doesn't seem to
ring quite right here though.

chuQun

Back to archive top level