tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 30 21:22:02 1994

Re: sayings and joke

I've been trying to translate some Klingon back into English, but the
results are often cryptic.  Advice about these two examples?

charghwI' writes:
>DeghHomvam 'oH wIghHomwIj'e' 'ach jIHemmeH vItuQ.

"My small genius is this small emblem (or: helm), but I wear it in order to
be proud"?

charghwI' writes:
>yIt cha' chechwI'. Hechaj DopDaq roS'egh targh.
>targhvam Da chechwI' wa'Dich neH ghaH jatlh ghaH.
>bInIDchugh vaj Duchopbej Har chechwI' cha'Dich jatlh ghaH.

"Two drunk people were walking.  With them was a targ, licking itself.
The first drunk person said he/she wanted to act like this targ.
The second drunk person said he/she believed "it will bite you if you try."

Hmmm...quiet chuckle...yes, that has the authentic obscurity of the jokes
on PK.  But shouldn't the last line say instead something like:

bInIDchugh vaj Duchopbej vIHar jatlh chechwI' cha'Dich.
The second drunk person said "I believe it will bite you if you try."

It seems strange to use direct speech (implied by the "you" pronoun
prefixes) for drunk no.2's belief, and indirect speech for what he actually
said.

-- Richard Kennaway

Back to archive top level