tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 29 05:01:35 1994

Re: Translate *that* sentence...

> > I'm always having difficulties with the more complex sentences.  Yet if I
> > don't attempt those complex sentences, I'll never increase in skill.  (as
> > you can see, I have enough trouble with American English as it is.)
>
> That's okay... keep on trying!  As long s you don't mind the rest of us
> picking apart your sentences and suggesting alternatives or better
> translations, we are glad to have you in here, and trying hard!  (and no,
> I didn't notice you were having problems with English at all)

That's because I've mastered complex sentences in English.  I had to.
All the native speakers kept doing it.  Can't they just have ONE idea per
sentence?  Nope.  I have noticed Klingon tends to keep one idea per
sentence, but all these native English speakers bring forth these complex
sentences in Klingon.  Sheesh!  (It doesn't help that I've lost my
dictionary, though)

> > "What is the Klingon word for <oops>?"
>
> There isn't.  That is what the replacement proverbs are for.  Basically,
> anytime you think you should say "oops", stick one of these there instead
> (in fact ANY time you screw up, you may very well be expected to give a
> proverb, so memorizing one or two certainly won't hurt!):
>
> 	DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.
> 	reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.
> 	Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.
> 	HIvqa' veqlargh.

May we create replacement proverbs?  If the Feklar takes it one more
time, I just might scream.  I remember seeing one once, where the Feklar
took "it" to Hell.  I thought that was rather creative, but I can't
remember who wrote it.

chuQun

Back to archive top level