tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 27 13:15:43 1994

Re: Another Newcomer

According to [email protected]:

>   ghuy'Do wa' qatlho'.  tIqwIj QuchmoH mu'meylIj QaQ.  jIQagh 'e'
> vIQubvo' reH jIghItlhvIp.
       ^^
Throughout this post, you have confused the noun suffix {-vo'}
for the verb suffix {-mo'}. You need to unlearn this
misremembered suffix and relearn it correctly.

> (mojaQ "-vIp" lo'pu'vo' jItlhIj, 'ach
                      ^^
> tera'gnan jIH, vaj vISaHbe'! ;) )

Again, you used {-vo'} where you meant {-mo'}. Also, keep in
mind that using {-mo'} does not mean you don't have to specify
who is the subject of the verb. Klingon doesn't have
infinitives. Verbs don't hang in space. Someone or something
has to DO them. The verb should have been {vIlo'pu'mo'}. Also,
{vISaHbe'} probably should be {jISaHbe'}. Without these
changes in prefixes, your setence means something like, "I
apologize because he has used the suffix {-vIp}, but I am a
Teran, so I don't care it." It is just off kilter far enough to
be jarring.

> (HIHoHQo'! ;)  )  'ach ghojmeH
> maQaghnIS.  vaj nIDvIpbe'.

"But in order that he learns, we must make mistakes. Thus he
must not be afraid." Again, you have prefix problems. How about:

'ach maghojmeH maQaghnIS. vaj jInIDvIpbe'.

>   *Winter*Daq *TKD* vIje'pu' 'ach not vIlaDpu'.

In Klingon, time and space are very different things. You can't
use locatives (space related suffixes) for time. We usually
solve this by saying "While winter happens, I bought TKD, but I
do not read it." Notice that, unless you are trying to say that
you DID read it, but you did not FINISH reading it, you do not
need to include the perfective on "read". Tense is set by
context. The word {not} would probably be considered a new time
context, meaning that you still have not read TKD and will not
for the foreseeable future.

qaStaHvIS *winter* *TKD* vIje'pu' 'ach vIlaDbe'.

> *Summer*vam *TKD*Daq
> Duchmey puS vIlaDpu', 'ach *summer*vam *Psychology* vIHaDvo' DaH
> tlhIngan Hol vIHaDtaH neH.                               ^^

Again, you can't use a locative ending on "Summer". I recommend
the same solution using {qaStaHvIS}. For other beginners trying
to read this, {Duchmey} is a misspelled {Dochmey}. Again, you
used {-vo'} instead of {-mo'}. You also probably want {neH} to
follow {Hol}. Where you put it, it means "merely" more than
"exclusively". See TKD 5.4, pages 56 & 57.

> vaj jangwIj: 1.5 jarmey tlhIngan Hol
> vIHaDtaH.

{-lI'} would probably be a better suffix here than {-taH}.
That's just my gut reaction based on the sense that {-taH} is
primarily designed for actions which either have no beginning
nor end, or at least have a vague beginning or ending. Others
may disagree on this, since the difference between {-taH} and
{-lI'} is primarily focussed on the END time, in that {-lI'}
tends to have a finite goal, while {-taH} does not.

Then again, it is late and my brain is stalling about half way
through this post. For that, I apologise. I should have
recognized my endurance limits earlier.

> vaj pIq Qaghchugh jItlhIj.

What does {pIq} mean?

> neH tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' jIH.
>   toH, DaH jIjaHnIS.  (jol yIchu'! ;) )

Again, look at pages 56-57. {neH} has no discernable meaning in
this position. Rather than figure out how to place {neH} in
this sentence, it might be easier to say, {tlhIngan Hol
vIbuStaH.}

>   William

charghwI'

Back to archive top level