tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 18 12:21:01 1994

Re: Talk like a Klingon!

>Is there any canon to support uses for {SaQ} or {jach}?  I'd like to
>know that I've been correct, when pleading to my son, {bISaQ 'e'
>yImev!} or {yISaQQo'!}

>--Holtej

If it turns out that {SaQ} does mean "cry" as in "shed tears", I wouldn't be
surprised. Klingons would probably seek such a term to describe this action
among the other (weaker) races.

Now on this business involving the discussion about whether the children of
this list's subscribers will become the first native speakers of Hol'a', I'd
opt to expect that they will not. It is historically the case that children
speak the language of the predominant language community, rather than the
speech of their parents. The children of immigrants often will know almost
nothing of their parents' native tongue. I have observed this phenomenon
personally.

In other words, the children of this list's subscribers, if spoken to even
exclusively in Hol'a', will probably end up not speaking it to any fluent
extent, since English will remain the first language of their parents as well
as the predominant language community. The only way to get a native speaker
of Hol'a' is for a group to isolate themselves and form a seperate language
community. So who's up for *that*?

Guido

Back to archive top level