tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 16 23:36:36 1994

Re: SkyBox card SP2

According to R.B Franklin:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 1994, Coz wrote:
>
> > This card bears a description printed in pIQaD, then in tlhingan Hol,
> > then in English: SuvwI' taj	Blade of the Warrior
> >
> 	When I got my hands on this card, I thought, "Great! This card is
> covered with pIqaD!  Now I'll be able to decipher Klingon writing."  I
> was very disappointed to find out there was absolutely no correlation
> between the pIqaD characters and the tlinghan Hol or English texts.

You have Okuda to thank for that. He is the artistic director
for everything Star Trek. He made up the characters in the
first place and INSISTS that nobody assigns any given character
to any alphabet. He prefers to greek the text himself for
aesthetic purposes.

> Apparently, the pIqaD characters are just randomly thrown together.  In
> fact, the pIqaD script consists of only 10 different characters.

They probably used the BitStream font which only HAS about ten
characters, plus a number of Star Trek badge-insignias. It is
incredibly useless.

> I feel
> like I'm the victim of a hoax.

Write to Paramont. Tell them that.

>  You would think they would be able to
> formulate a usable writing system without too much trouble.

Dr. Lawrence Schoen has already done that with a font respected
by anybody this side of Okuda.

> *KLBC Alert*
>
> jIyIn 'ej jIghoj.

HochvaD teH mu'tlheghvetlh.