tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 15 05:38:26 1994

Re: Time zones

\Sorry about the non-Klingon post, but I was wondering if some helpful
\person could fill me in on all the American time-zones, so that I know
\when something has been written (and when people are most likely to be
\around)?
Well, by "American" I'm assuming you mean North America, which spans
six time zones.  If you add Hawaii (part of the U.S. but not in North
America), that's another time zone:

Zone (Abbrev)		Hours earlier than Universal Time
Atlantic (AST/ADT)	4/3
Eastern (EST/EDT):	5/4	(Easternmost continental US)
Central (CST/CDT):	6/5
Mountain (MST/MDT):	7/6
Pacific (PST/PDT):	8/7	(Westernmost continental US)
Aleutian (AST/ADT):	9/8	(Alaska)
Hawaii	 (HST/HDT):	10/9

The two different offsets are Standard/Daylight.  Daylight Savings Time runs
from the first Sunday in April through the last Sunday in October; the rest
of the time we're on "Standard" time (a misnomer these days, since it's
actually in use much less than half of the year).

The following is a list of all fifty states and the time zone in which they
lie.  Keep in mind that some states have regions in more than one zone.

STATE			ZONE
Alabama			Central
Alaska			Aleutian
Arizona			Mountain
Arkansas		Central
California		Pacific
Colorado		Mountain
Connecticut		Eastern
Delaware		Eastern
Florida			Eastern
Georgia			Eastern
Hawaii			Hawaii
Idaho			Mountain
Illinois		Central
Indiana			Eastern
Iowa			Central
Kansas			Central
Kentucky		Eastern
Louisiana		Central
Maine			Eastern
Maryland		Eastern
Massachusetts		Eastern
Michigan		Eastern
Minnesota		Central
Mississippi		Central
Missouri		Central
Montana			Mountain
Nebraska		Central
Nevada			Mountain
New Hampshire		Eastern
New Jersey		Eastern
New Mexico		Mountain
New York		Eastern
North Carolina		Eastern
North Dakota		Central
Ohio			Eastern
Oklahoma		Central
Oregon			Pacific
Pennsylvania		Eastern
Rhode Island		Eastern
South Carolina		Eastern
South Dakota		Central
Tennessee		Central
Texas			Central
Utah			Mountain
Vermont			Eastern
Virginia		Eastern
Washington		Pacific
West Virginia		Eastern
Wisconsin		Central
Wyoming			Mountain

And here's a similar list for the Canadian provinces:

PROVINCE		ZONE
Newfoundland		Atlantic + 30 minutes
New Brunswick		Atlantic
Prince Edward Island	Atlantic