tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 14 06:14:43 1994

passive voice (was: back-translation...)

"d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]> said:

    Nice to hear you consider me a reliable source!

Anyone who writes their own parser from scratch is OK by me!

    In Klingon, if you are satisfied with the unspecified subject...
    then use {-lu'}. {tIqwIj wavlu'}, which one could translate as
    "my heart is divided." Of course, now you can't use a subject.

You see, I was missing something, something simple(*). To simplify this
one more step, {tIq wavlu'} "so/st divides the heart". This is brief and
strikes me as very close to what I wanted originally.

    This is not meant to be a suggestion for your translation above,
    which is very nice as it stands...

A second compliment on that translation, erm... Klingons do NOT blush!

Geno

PS: I'm away for a few days, all. Don't take it personally if it takes
me a while to get back to this.

---------
(*) I always miss the simple stuff. I once asked the professor in Calc I
how to solve x - x ln x = 0.

--
  . EuGene Tramaglino   .  House Tramaglino   .  Ad Astra Per Aspera   .

Back to archive top level