tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 09 08:04:28 1994

Re: Quenya phrase

>Can anyone help me with the following phrase (in Tolkien's Quenya)?

>"Olen sila lumenn' omentielmo"  (I think)

>'The stars shine on the hour of our greeting.'

>chay' tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghvam jatlhlu''a'

>--
>bu' qSeroHS vayn

DaHlup maghomchuqbogh wovqu' Hovmey

Most Klingonists will find two aspects of this troubling.

1) {DaH}+time.element is my way of getting around the common Anglicisms like
{povam}, etc. It's only an extension of {DaHjaj}. If you have simply too much
trouble with this, tell me. But please include a good reason--something other
than "Okrand never said we could".

2) The head of the relative clause is a temporal, thus the prefix looks
screwy.

This is one of my most liberal of sentences. I don't usually do things like
this, but the poetic-ness(?) of the English (& Quenya) call for poetic
license.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level