tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 08 04:45:36 1994

Adverbs, gerunds, participles, et al.

I am finding that with practice Klingon can be very flexible and expressive, but
I am still having trouble with some of the grammar and word forms. So, I pose
the following questions, which hopefully will be easy for the grammarians out
there:

1. How does one form adverbs? For example:

   Maltz eats his to'baj legs greedily.

2. How is "with" expressed in Klingon. (I thought there was an affix for it, but
I can't find one.) For example:

   Maltz hit me with a rock.

3. How does one express gerunds and participles (verbal forms used as
adjectives), in Klingon? For example:

   a) Screaming in fear, Maltz ran to his quarters.
   b) Eating chocolate is Maltz's job.

For participles, I surmised that using an appropriate verb form would probably
work, as in the following:

   vajpu' jachtaH - screaming warriors
   yuch tetpu'    - melted chocolate

But, I couldn't think of anything for gerunds that wasn't awkard. Consider:

   SuvtaHghach - fighting (the act of).

4. How does one express infinitives? (Would they just be relegated to participle
forms?) For example:

   Maltz likes to eat chocolate.

Qapla'
Thornton